FRENCH CITIES


No.1 (and only) son is on a school trip to Paris this week (I have mentioned before he is 'teaching' primary school english this year in France?), it's a cold clear day here today in N.I. temperature 5 degrees, Paris is minus 2, I told him to take lots of warm clothes, wonder did he listen to me? Paris is notorious for being perishing in winter, one year we went to Euro Disney and at one point Husband had all the clothes he had taken for the 4 days on at once . We very,very, very rarely visited Paris as He had taken a dislike to it as a teenager visiting with his mates - not really a city for that kind of holiday. I used to go on business occasionally, but its only been in the last few years we visited as a couple and fallen for its charm.
Where is the photo taken I hear you ask? Well actually its not Paris, I was thinking about favourite French cities and realised we don't often visit the bigger cities, we often nip through Toulouse for the airport, Ikea or the D.I.Y. Leroy Merlin and the only other city we've been in in the past few years is Bordeaux - and that's where the photos taken.
Bordeaux has improved no end in the past few years with the spruce up it has undergone along the river's edge - the wide Garonne, last time we were there a huge cruise ship was docked right in the heart of the city, a wonderfully crazy 'antiques' fair was plying its trade nearby and it was a glorious sunny spring day when tout la monde were promenading and children (and adults) were fooling about in this reflection puddle - can't call it a pool, it isn't even a centimetre deep. I guess that may be the town hall behind it in the photo, not sure.
We had quite a nice red bordeaux last Sunday, Claret as it's called and I have just looked it up to find out why and apparently it is really a french term for a very deep coloured rose which is what was initially predominantly produced in the Bordeaux wine area. Tonight it's prawns for dinner so I'm off to peruse the Craig family white wine mountain, byeee.

Comments

Popular Posts