FILM

I was just looking at a list of movies you 'must' see before you die, well I'm not into films, I very rarely go to the cinema, make an effort to watch a film on t.v. or buy a DVD. I find it hard to commit to sitting watching one thing for 2 or 3 hours (films seem to be getting very long). If asked, my favourite 2 films are; Fargo - one of the possibly 5 DVD's I have ever bought, having stumbled across it late one night on t.v. I could just listen to it forever I love the accents in it, and Amelie, which I don't possess on DVD and have probably only seen twice, and so long ago at that, that I seriously wonder although I always say it is my favourite, is to really? I keep intending to purchase a copy, but hate the thought of finding that I am sadly mistaken and I now think it's pants. After these 2 any other film I have an affection for would probably be a cartoon, is it the colour, the un-reality, the silliness? - I could be describing Avatar, to me a truly dreadful film! 

The lovely Omar Sy and Francois Cluzet, (looking very much like Dustin Hoffman)

I have been hunting the house for the DVD of the Intouchables (in french) to watch again and see how much more I understand 2nd. time around, is that the sign of a good film? when you enjoy it even in a foreign language? But it's gone off to university with no.1 son, malheureusement. Looking on the internet there I see it is the second most successful film in France after 'Welcome to the Sticks', what?, never heard of that, oh yeah 'Ch'tis' of course, I'd never ever come across it 'translated' into english before.



And finally, no trip to France is complete without a Louis De Funes film (there is one on every week on some t.v. channel or other), some are truely dreadful and some actually quite funny (for me 'Soupe aux Choux'). And to complete the 'French films I like' list - Les Visiteurs, starring Jean Reno and the wonderful Valerie Lemercier, there's another voice I could just listen to forever. I guess these films go down well being in the international language of slapstick.


Comments

Popular Posts