HAVING A YEAR OFF?

Am I having another year out??
After working in the fashion industry I took a year out to live in Amsterdam, then no.1 son arrived and I never really went back into fashion.
Later I gave up a job I loved as an art technician to spend a year concentrating on painting, after about 6 months I had some pieces of work selected by a gallery and that was when I decided that I didn't really want to go back to 'a proper job'.
All my proper jobs have lasted about 5 years and then I've made myself move on, I have been an artist for 12 years now and it is very difficult to say; enough, no more, and yet I managed to do it several times before, walking away from good wages and/or happy work places.

So many people give up work to come to France to paint, I've given up painting to come to France and have a good time! Art as a job is a fair amount of angst and an awful lot of paperwork, running around galleries, doing things for no money and schmoozing. And I hate and am no good at schmoozing!

Am I no longer an artist? Am I retired? I am currently calling it - 'Having a year out' - again.
Never too old for a gap year!


A painting from last year - spring flowers

 

Comments

Popular Posts