Lodeve Museum of Art 2010 (Languedoc)


This summer's exhibition at the Museum of Art in Lodeve was 'De Gauguin aux Nabis'. I had just given the flyer a passing glance in the tourist office and thought - mmm, Gauguin, will I won't I? I'm not a big Gauguin fan but thinking I haven't seen much of his work in the flesh and not for a long time I suppose I should go along. Well of course it wasn't a Gauguin exhibition at all, I think there was only 3 of his pieces; (Karl wouldn't let me go around a second time to count), a self portrait and some woodcuts - nothing from Tahiti, so their publicity poster was a bit of a con.
Anyway, just like last year I came away with my list of yummy pictures and artists I'd loved to look them up on the net and print out the pics upon my return to the techno hub that is Newtownards. And just like last year it seems everything I admire must have some kind of copyright or something that means there are no reproductions. Only found one (see above) which is by Aristide Maillol 'Jeune fille de profil', the second piece of his I admired was also a portrait in profile. Loved the simplicity and the composition with the large empty space. Other artists that caught my eye were Charles Lacoste, Paul Seroisier, Maurice Denis and Kerr Xavier Roussel. I will endeavour to find a bit more out about their work. Painting by Kerr Xavier Roussel, again it is the asymmetric balance that draws me to it, and the colour of couse, I'm tempted to break it down to a simple abstract pattern and paint it - something easy to get me back into the way of things.

Comments

Popular Posts