THE CONTINUING SEARCH FOR 'THE THING' no.2 (Languedoc)

In May last year I introduced you to the original pock shot 'Thing' that had adorned the pergola roof probably since it was built in 1880, it had just been removed, and then, the so far fruitless search, for its replacement was launched.

The latest contenders are........

When we visited Bristol a few weeks ago we fell for the work of 2 metal sculptors; Barry Lewis and Michael Turner. Traveling budget airlines with only hand baggage we weren't prepared to buy any of their fairly lethal work.
Barry's work is made from found objects - bits of cars and bikes. kitchen gadgets, and a lot of cutlery so it very much appealed to my love of recycling, it's the closest work so far that fits the bill without to much of a stretch of imagination required if we were to commission something. So an email must be dispatched four with for more information! (You can find him on Facebook)
Emails have already been exchanged with artist no.2 Michael Lewis again we saw his work in Bristol and the trouble was (apart from the hand luggage issue) there were too many lovely things to choose from. We particularly liked his fish, frogs and geckos, not quite sitting on a roof material unless God is feeling venomous. When I got back and looked at his website http://www.michaelturnerstudio.com/ there was way,way to much to choose from - but still not exactly the RIGHT THING! This Rooster is superb but I think a rooster on a french house is a bit too predictable.

Finally I was very impressed by local artist Sharon Reagan's horse sculptures, and as I pretty much loathe horses that's some going for me to appreciated these works, sorry Sharon but I still hate the paintings! but that's just not my thing. Off course I don't want a horse on the roof but I thought the technique certainly lends itself to a bird's nest just not sure about a bird as well I think it would have to be a solid piece sitting inside. Could also see a wiry pintade but yet again not on a roof. I think it's becoming obvious why I'm getting nowhere with this quest....I can't make up my mind!

Comments

Popular Posts