TOAD HALL, one more time (Brittany)



Here's my Dad back in 2006 at the age of 81 doing a bit of pointing, at the time I did feel a bit worried about a somewhat senior citizen up a ladder with a bucket of cement, (although I don't mind heights at all I'm not great with ladders). And the worst part of this is no.1 son (at that time 16 years old) is just off camera with his feet up on the table reading a book, manual labour being a total unknown to him then - and now. Finally last year the side wall and gable was pointed, unfortunately my Father had hung up his trowel and I had to pay for the job to be done - welcome to the real world :(

Here's a photo of the kitchen which sort of corresponds to the 'before' shot a couple of posts ago. The delightful units are MFI's finest as I was in the unfortunate position of working there at the time, 6 months of my life which will never appear on a C.V! Horrible, horrible, horrible people to work for. But the staff discount was good.


The other side of the kitchen and another tale - my Father has never been bowled over by my 'talents', when I ran my own fashion design business he asked when was I going to get a proper job? (MFI was probably the pinnacle of my career for him), anyway I had spent about a week painting the dark wood ceiling white in this room and sanding it back to get that shabby chic look of the old grain showing through. Then he and Mother arrived and wanted to know 'what was I going to do about the ceiling?' - all paint brushes and tins of high gloss white were secreted from his reach.


Finally the reason for this plethora of Toad Hall posts -
For several years it was rented out as a holiday gite, then I had a tenant for several months, once he left I realized it would need new carpets and some other bits of TLC to put it back on the holiday lets market and having acquired the house in St.Pons the money, time or inclination wasn't there. So aprt from a one week check up visit for the past 4 years it has stood empty and unloved and I feel rotten about it.
So would anybody like to stay there? available from May to September, if someone could have a sabbatical for the whole period that would be fantastic, say rent of £100 per week. The minimum I would consider would be a months rental (at £400 you'd do well to get a weeks holiday for that).
It's take it as you find it and leave it as you would wish to find it, please, please, please should you know anyone that would be interested it would be lovely to have some life in it over the summer, it's a lovely spot - google earth it, Quelneuc beside the Lac au Duc, Morbihan.

Comments

Popular Posts