DRAWINGS, SKETCHES & A PAINTING A DAY

use

The Ulster museum is about to have an exhibition of 10 Leonardo da Vinci drawings. They portray a fantastic range of subject mater; as one would expect, portraits and anatomical studies and inventions, but also this acorn sketch, a map and an intriguing view from a window which looks more as if he was up in one of his helicopter designs when it was produced.

I was drawn (sorry) to the report of this upcoming event by the title - Ten Drawings by Leonardo da Vinci, after my recent blog about Derain and his work output of 30 or 50 sketches and drawings in a summer, I was wondering what is a sketch and what is a drawing? Aha, I thought, that's a drawing all right, after all a sketch is sketchier! But then I thought, hold on a minute if I were talking about Leonardo's body of work I would speak of his sketches. And with google images there is no difference when searching sketches versus drawings. And then there are Leonardo's cartoons, now there's a word that has changed it's meaning over the years.
I guess this is a similar debate as to are you an artist or a painter?
The internet is rife with artists challenging themselves to produce a painting a day, I did once start a sketchbook to be filled with a sketch a day, but how many views from a carpark can you do? as usually while I was waiting to pick up no.1 son from school was when I had some minutes to sketch. So I'll not make any rash promises about this summer but I will really try to be more productive in France and produce work almost every day......
Today's 'Art Alfresco' group meeting is at Parliament buildings, Stormont, Norn Ireland




Was surprised by the lack of 'Stormont art' when I googled, only one piece, by local artist Andy Hipson, available from his website www.andrewhipson.com, will this fantastic use of colour inspire me today? it's a bit grey out there at the minute. tomorrow I'll be in Beziers, 24 degrees forecast, that's a bit better.

Comments

  1. Barbara you are calling it by it's old name try searching under N.I. Assembly building etc.Or look at Emma's work in the shop at www.longshotpress.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. This article is really very interesting and enjoyable.
    ย่อลิ้ง

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts