A LANGUEDOCIAN SUMMER (Langudoc)

After 2 days of torrential rain in Northern Ireland I am finally sitting in the sunshine - like I did ALL SUMMER in St. Pons, no I tell a lie I think there was 1 wet day and 2 dull ones. There was an official heatwave in all the neighbouring departments but not Herault for some reason. Well obviously because we didn't comply with the requirements which if I remember correctly are temperatures over 38 degrees during the day and not dipping below  23 degrees at night for more than 4 consecutive days. Mercifully our night time temperatures dropped and we didn't have any uncomfortable sticky nights.For a while I moaned it was too hot to walk, too hot to paint, too hot to garden but finally I gave in and got on with it, you just get used to it. And really we now live in the height of luxury as our car there has air con, we are no longer dripping our way around the Languedoc in the mobile sauna that was the volkswagen polo.

The above photo was taken at the Montady melon fete, where surprisingly there were very few melon stalls. The very best thing about the day was the soap box time trials which took place around the town. Unfortunately my photos were either a blip on the distant horizon or the shadow of a back wheel as the magnificent soap boxes hurtled by, they were brilliantly inventive and I can't wait to go again (I am presuming it is an annual feature of the fete). There was also a selection of vintage cars there and the colour of this fine specimen against the metal cave doors I think is wonderful.
After a view of sunflowers or vine covered rolling hills this must be the most French typical vista. A photo taken on the road home from a far, far less successful day out at the driest wine fete ever in Fontes which we certainly won't be going to again.


Comments

Popular Posts