BURNS NIGHT (Languedoc)

Burns Night - Languedoc! What's the connection??

I guess its the recession but I have never been aware of local restaurants (in Northern Ireland that is) touting for business for Burns night suppers before, but this week I recieved 3 invitations.
Well black pudding I love, white pudding is O.K. - haggis I can take but prefer to leave, so I'm having a steak tonight. 
And as for the scurl of the pipes.....
The mention of bagpipes reminded me of this guy. Yes that is an entirely inflated sheep skin he has under his arm, I kid you not, although that could be a very bad pun, because now I come to think of it, it could be a goat's body. I guess it could be worse he could be blowing into the other end of it.

I came across him at a folk lore event in St.Pons in the summer, his name is Daniel Loddo and apparently he is a musician of some note, quite tinny ones actually, I jest, I really quite like the quality of the traditional instruments of  france, languedocian and breton folk tunes being quite similar, a common instrument being the 'cornemuse', a bit whiney but evocative all the same. Only rivaled in popularity by the accordian, oh now we still remembered 'fondly' our day out at the international accordion festival in Augan in Brittany, an unbelievable event not to be missed, quite an experience, certainly one the Craig family will never forget (believe me we've tried).

It's on the first week of July, Toad Hall is available, don't all rush at once!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts