GRAVEYARDS - yes graveyards (Languedoc)

I find graveyards interesting and lovely and pleasant places, I enjoy the quietness to contemplate and I like to wonder about the lives of the people now dead. I think mausoleums and grave surrounds can be things of great beauty. And on a practical note they are a source of clean water supplies when out painting alfresco. I recently visited my local graveyard in Taupont (Morbihan) for the first time after having the cottage there for 17 years, the same names cropped up again and again, 3 or 4 families were and are the mainstay of this small community, is it strange to find this rather cosy - that they are all still together?
But the languedocian graveyards are spectacular in comparison to their more austere northern counterparts.
 
I love the little enamel and metal plaques.

This piece of filigree metal work was stunning and the faded plastic flowers are even a thing of beauty.

 All ceramic, memorials such as this seem to be going out of fashion now, the ceramic flowers were often quite attractive and at least they don't wither.

A cross between a greenhouse/bedstead/or indeed reminds me for some reason of an old fashioned pram.

But then there's always someone who spoils it for everybody - what? why?
 
There has been bad news this past week from the region, floods and landslides in the Orb valley killed 4 people in Bedarieux and also affected the Jaur valley up to our neighbours in Riols and Premian. Luckily St.Pons escaped. It will be interesting to see if the landscape is altered when I return to walk in the hills next Easter.

Comments

Popular Posts