THE (NOT) PAINTING HOLIDAY (Languedoc) 1

I was set to host my first painting holiday, rooms done and dusted, itinerary figured out, menu compiled and sunshine ordered to start shining on the day, all was going to plan.....and then French air traffic control went on strike. Painting Team Commander came on the mobile - Air traffic strike/flights will be cancelled/all over the news/we might not make it/blaa, blaa, blaa. Stuff and nonsense, I replied, this happens every year/nothing on the news here/never worry. But then a report  did appear on the French news and proved me wrong again by letting us know it hasn't happened every year, but indeed something like 9 years out of the past 12. But I still wasn't taking it seriously. Last year Big Sis and partner spent many a happy day on the terrace discussing various ways of getting back to blighty (only stopping just short of contemplating swimming the channel) when their return flight coincided with the (not quite) annual strike. On the dreaded day I deposited them at Carcassonne airport and toute suite off they flew, so quite the non event. I was confident it was a storm in a tasse de tea, I went ahead getting some supplies in. 'No matter what, the Wing Commander and his able assistant forward gunner O'Kane will make it, they will not be deterred', I informed Hubby, I was confident the chosen few would strike out and we would paint together no matter what. No sooner was the card swiped at the supermarche till, the groceries packed and a cheeky little Bordeaux on special offer selected that the call came - flight cancelled, NO ONE is coming, thanks a bunch Ryan air. Mercifully having just set about catering for the 2 supposed stalwarts, the food mountain was just a small hill that kept the 2 of us going nicely to the end of our stay. I think husband was a little relieved that his mass catering skills weren't called for, and I was  a little relieved about not having to be called upon to be a diplomatic hostess (as I can't do diplomacy). But as it was the most exquisite of weeks weather wise it was a big disappointment not to be able to show off the Haute Languedoc looking lovely. Ah well, maybe next year, because French air traffic control DO NOT strike every year.
 

 

 
Hubby being patient whilst I sketched in Capdestang. Look at that blue sky - bliss.

Comments

Popular Posts