A GRAND DAY POTTERING ABOUT (Languedoc)

 
On Saturday we packed a picnic and motored off to the annual pottery market in Salleles D'Aude. The sun was shining but it was cooler than of late and the potters, now spending their second day standing, manning their stalls were mostly wrapped up in jackets, the tourists (mostly the English) sauntered along in shorts and sandals, As an aside why? why? WHY? do people fly home from their summer holidays dressed like this, don't they know they look absolute dicks arriving at the U.K airport of their choice where they'll have goose bumps on their goose bumps. And secondly why, why, WHY? do they depart for holidays wearing next to nothing, do they spend the entire fortnight half naked? am I the only person who has to don multiple layers so my bag can get past the dreaded weighing machine?

Cold potters, hot tourists. Or dressed thus, is it the other way around?

OK rant over, back to the market. Having recently received all our 'stuff' from Northern Ireland I had proclaimed to the Husband we were buying no more, our minimalist holiday home having become an Aladdin's cave permanent home overnight, and indeed at the St.Pons pottery market we showed signs of wavering over one small piece, but because we couldn't agree on which pattern/colour way we stuck to the resolve and walked away from it. I pronounced if we were to buy anything more it was to be big and imposing, the trouble is small is soooo affordable (and usually quite cute).
Usually the Salleles D'Aude market has a more varied selection of work and I'm spoilt for choice and just can't afford everything I like, but unfortunately/thankfully that wasn't the case this time around. We aren't buying anymore raku, we don't generally care for sculptural/figurative pieces and I'm not interested in jewellery, Michael the magpie likes very bright shiny objects whereas I am so sophisticated and subtle (yeah sure). I thought there was a bit of  'dumbing down' in the style of the work, but I guess these poor potters have got to make a buck, so there were silly little animals, more jewellery,  things to appeal to kids etc, etc. I saw one bowl that I loved, gorgeous peacock coloured glazes edged the rim and puddled inside, rough and chalky on the outside, but we had no special place for it at home so home it did not come, I stuck to my principles.

 
We did buy 2 wee 'poppy' bowls to add to our collection, but they don't count because we use them as table ware,

 
Nice display

 
I was trying to take photos of the general activity in the market, not specific work and this potter (can you see her just peeking in on the right?)  took great exception to me photographing her display. She kept sticking her head further and further out, I kept turning the camera little by little, by the time I thought I'd got rid of her the browsers had moved on, so a somewhat barren foreground in this 'artistic composition'. We did about 5 circuits of the show and to use the Irish vernacular she 'had a sour bake on her' the whole time, wonder did she ever sell anything? her stuff was actually quite nice.
 
What do other potters say? OK to photograph or not?
 
Onwards. Lunch by the Canal du Midi at Le Somail. Next stop Mirepeisst for a walk.
 
Now we live on a road at the top of which is a fire station, and throughout the summer the engines go out for several hours at a time on fire watch. We have often wondered where exactly they go and what they do to fill in the time whilst being so vigil. Well during our hilly walk along forest tracks we came across a fire engine tucked in the shade of the trees, ah ha, we have found a fire watch! but where are the diligent sapeurs? a few paces on and there strapped between the trees were 2 very comfy hammocks concealing 2 firemen snug inside their cocoons - Michael forbade me taking a photograph in case I disturbed them. They must inevitably fall asleep, after lunch/lying down/very warm? got to be snoozing, so my guess is subliminally they must be able to sniff out the scent of fire and it infiltrates their dreams and they jump into action?? - or maybe there was just more of them out on patrol being manly and heroic.
 
Last stop - I'll save for tomorrows blog .......

Comments

Popular Posts