PAINTING LESSONS?

At the start of the month 4 'keen' painters joined me here in the Haute Languedoc. I have never ever been on a painting holiday so I am probably the last person on earth qualified to organise one - and this one I really didn't organise - but I am now thinking about (planning) the next one.

But lets go back in time first, Wednesday 7th October the plucky little team had already rattled off a painting at their accommodation before we met up for lunch chez nous. We then went off in pursuit of the sun as it was cloudy up in the hills so Canal de Midi wards we went but getting as far as St.Chinian the sun had broken through and that was far enough.

Lesson no.1
Some artists like to travel, some don't.

St.Chinian is not a town I would pick under normal circumstances to use as a alfresco painting venue, not that there is anything wrong with it, and we all found subject matter very close to our parking spot thus saving lugging a bag full of art materials around. I liked the fact there were quite a few people about to sketch, sometimes French villages and small towns take on the air of the Marie Celeste in the early afternoon.

First day, first sketch, in sketchbook.
 
Day 2. This was probably the start of my frequent catchphrase - it's a 20 minute drive away - well when I'm driving it is! We were off to Minerve for the day. A glorious day when it was best to select a shadowy spot to paint from, or a café terrace, which at the tail end of the season you are quite welcome to frequent for an hour or two by the patron. This brings up the point, which again as a painting holiday novice I don't know the answer to, is it best to keep all your chicks in one basket and make them paint roughly the same thing or as we did - 1,2,3, scatter. I guess it's dependant on how tutored a painting holiday is, some painters go to learn and (I deplore) attempt to replicate parrot fashion, (learning to paint by wrote). As grown ups we were allowed to go our separate ways although I'm thinking without the invention of the mobile phone this could lead to nightmares. The morning session gave birth to this -
 
 
Paul O'Kanes street corner view, I love it. Just peaking in below is his view painted that afternoon of Minerve, and there are just a few of his other paintings showing around the edges, what was it about a dozen in total???
 
Lesson no.2
Some painters can produce an excellent piece of work in an hour and a half, most need a bit more time.
 
In the afternoon we all did views, the others Minverve, me a hill.
 
 
Lesson no.3
Getting going, some take longer than others
 
Having people to stay can be difficult even friends you've had for donkey's years. This is illustrated by friends who came to stay with us in Brittany several years ago, nothing happened to quickly of a morning and when it was finally decided what the plan for the day would be (didn't matter an iota if this had already been discussed the previous evening) and 'we' were all set to go, Heather (yes you Heather) would put the kettle on for a cup of tea. ARGHHHHH.
 
With a painting holiday this occurs on 2 levels, there will be the morning people who leap out of bed and are all set to go and those to be herded in that direction but also when you get to your venue the selection of the subject matter - decisions. decisions - I think I err on the taking a bit of time here, and then you always see something better later on.
 
But things seemed to balance out quite well, while some faffed about, Paul knocked out another masterpiece, when others ummed and ahhed I'd produced a few wonky pen and washes post haste. I think at the end of the day we rubbed along OK.
 
To be continued.......

Comments

Popular Posts