KNOCKERS


Recently visitors noticed these striking door handles on the doors about the town and asked me why they looked like that? I recalled my sister had said something about them occurring frequently in the near and middle east and I thought the hand was holding the 'evil eye' to prevent it entering the property. Having looked into this theory it's almost right and certainly the origin of the style is eastern and different cultures share the same idea. The hand is always female be it that of Fatima, Miriam or Mary depending upon your religion. It holds a ball not an eye although they also occur holding fruit - that didn't catch my eye on my walk around town, maybe it's an Anglicisation of the idea. But why a hand holding anything wards off evil that I don't know, a hand raised palm out obviously illustrates STOP, why not that shape? - because it wouldn't be so beautiful as these are.......

 
First one on my search - on a pretty chunky front door.

 
Getting more ornate.

 
Discoloured prettily.

 
Looking softly worn, very tactile.
 
 
And here are a couple more that caught my eye.
 
 

 
You won't mess with whoever is behind this door - that needs a battering ram.
 
All within about 3 streets, it's amazing what you see when you are on a mission rather than just walking about for a bit of exercise. Next dander I think I might focus on lintels, boy do I lead an exciting life! But wee things like this give me enormous pleasure.
 
“A lot depends on the small things”
Pastor Adelaja Sunday
 
Is there a quote that goes something about 'focus on the small, small, small rather than the big, big, big'? or did I just make that up?

Comments

Popular Posts