COLLIOURE & MATISSE

I don't know if it is correct for me to say I am a great lover of the work of Matisse, I find his work interesting, inspiring, challenging, some pieces I like and some I don't. He spent time in Collioure around 1905/06 painting with Derain before he moved on into Spain and north Africa, I was going to say his colours getting even hotter but I don't think that was possible as he had already embraced colour in an explosive way. He called his colourful mark making 'sticks of dynamite'.
I don't know when the town of Collioure decided to display reproductions of his work about the place, several years ago I guess as they are now faded sorry sights of his stunning work. As we walked along the front last week I spotted 'Fenetre ouverte' possibly his most reproduced work?? I certainly sold a few of these back in the days of working in the Sheldon Gallery. I really like this painting but possibly more so because of the subject matter than the execution, open window/door views always appeal to me. But that lilacy pink, peach, mint combination to the right side - WOW WOW WOW.

 
He was about 36 when he stayed in Collioure, I know he painted with Derrain, and I know Picasso and Dali also painted in the town, and a new revelation for me - Charles Rene Mackintosh too, more about that another time. I'm sure there are many other views of the town painted in the 'Fauve' style, Collioure after all has been given the title of the birthplace of Fauvism, a style were it is said the artists had forgotten to pack any black paint! This painting of the church tower is one of many, it is suggested that this is one of the most painted views in France, up there with the Moulin Rouge and poppy fields, (I somehow doubt that). I'm guessing that Matisse didn't see this as a finished piece but a painted sketch.
 
 
 
Collioure has masses of seafront restaurants and must heave with tourists in summer, there are also a lot of galleries with some quite dodgy work, but it is quite pretty with it's mix of peach, pink, lemon, and terracotta buildings tumbling down to the shore. It will have at least quadrupled in size since Matisse looked down upon it ......
 

Another colourful photo of Collioure
 
 
Today Collioure, tomorrow Port Vendres.......

Comments

Popular Posts