CANICULE = HEATWAVE

Upon our return from Porto last week the aeroplane door opened and the oven like heat hit us - we are having a heatwave. Even in the Haut Languedoc. That's over a week now of shade temperatures being over 30 degrees, nightime falling at best to 22. So for a full week we have been nowhere, as its too hot, I get as far as our little swimming pool - to float, so no exercise has been taken, certainly no walking, so I feel sooooo fat. For the next 2 days we are forecast thunder showers, and the day time temperature may plummet to 24. The heat covers most of Europe and mercifully we seem to have left Portugal in the nick of time where 45 degrees was predicted.

The thing that has surprised me, which you noticed living in the street shared with the Fire Station is the lack of activity from the Sapeurs Pompiers, usually throughout the summer we become very aware of the shift system worked as the tanker and engines go out on fire watch. There have been no reports of forest/bush fires around these parts that I know of, by this time in the summer that is an extreme rarity.

So I'm sticking close to the pool, while many take refuge by the river (I forgot, I have been out, last Thursday, sketching by the Orb), dear knows what it's like by the coast - HELL!


Comments

Popular Posts